The hall does not have its own post box so
general correspondence may be posted to;
Newport Village Hall,
c/o Peter Gibson (Chair),
Peter Gibson ☎: 01799 540249
Camilla Brackstone ☎: 07949 639114
Mr Stanley Barnard called a meeting to discuss the possibility of a village hall large and modern enough for their social needs.
The meeting was held in the Congregational Hall on January the 24th 1950, where it was agreed that a Committee of 12 should be elected and that the sum of £137 already collected should be placed at their disposal.
After a first meeting of this Committee at the Railway Inn, subsequent meetings were held at The Old Vicarage every first Monday of the month from February 1950 to 1960, and thereafter in the village hall.
Newport Village Hall,
Newport Village Hall is a large community hall in the heart of this delightful historic Essex village owned by the residents of Newport.
It is conveniently situated 100 metres from
Newport railway station on the Liverpool Street to Cambridge line, as well as a local bus stop and has a fine location overlooking the large Common.
There is parking for up to 30 cars in the Hall's own car park with additional spaces nearby.
The Hall has disabled access and facilities.
The Hall is extensively used by a wide range of clubs and organisations, covering all age groups, as well as being hired for private functions.
Some of the regular user groups, with contact details, are on the 'Activities' page. It is estimated that over 1,800 people use the Hall each month.
A range of important improvement works have been completed over the past few years.
The Hall is suitable for a wide range of functions and events. Bookings are taken by the hour or day/evening, or for a period of weeks in the case
of regular community activities.
The spacious main hall has a substantial stage
and features a sprung dance floor.
There is a modern well equipped kitchen behind the stage and a bar annex to one side.
There are 100 chairs and 13 large folding tables (182x68cm) and 14 smaller folding tables (91x76cm).
The Marion Faber Room, can be hired separately from the main hall and will comfortably accommodate up to 36 people in lecture room configuration.
The obvious site appeared to be between the recreation ground and Station Road belonging to Benskins Brewery. A meeting was arranged with their Managing Director and after 20 minutes they agreed to gift the land to the Committee.
The finance included:
£1000 interest free loan from the Rural County Council, providing villagers guaranteed it in small amounts.
While Colonel Grant a director of the Bishop's Stortford Match factory suggested if he was sent
2-3 tons of paper they would pay the same as they pay Thames Board Mills. The eventual total was £1500.
The Ministry Of Education also made a substantial grant.
At one period in 1958 finances were struggling so Eddie Guile formed the Newport Organisations Committee to start a Bingo weekly session (still running today).
Station Road, Newport
The Railway Inn, Newport
Most of the building work was done voluntarily.
Between 1954 and 1955 an arrangement through the Friends School, Saffron Walden with an International Work Camp, saw youngsters of various nationalities including Turkish and Americans come over each summer, camping in the Church House and having baths in villagers' homes, to assist with the project. Areas including the roof and the sprung dance floor professionals were employed.
The official opening took place on Saturday 28th May 1960 performed by Mr C.H.A. Butler of Shortgrove Hall, High Sheriff of Essex.
It was followed by a Grand Fete and a Gala Dance.
Two years later Eddie Guile and the Committee set about raising more money for an extension and the Bar Annexe (The Green Room) was duly opened in 1964.
A car park became essential, with the ideal piece of land between the hall and the Railway Station yard eventually being obtained from Ind Coope & Co.
The Marion Faber Room was re-named in honour of the ex-chair, having originally been called The Green Room.
If you have more information or pictures regarding the history of the Newport Village Hall, we would love to hear from you.
Please fill in the form above to get in touch.
Fill in the form below for more general information about the hall.
For questions about bookings, fill in the form on the 'Bookings' page.
Click anywhere on the map and Google Maps will open in a new window.
Mr John Gordon MBE
Elected Trustee Chair
John Oswin Smith
User Group Representative Trustees
Newport Art Group
Newport Essex Playgroup
Parish Council Rep.